Google, just ahead of its annual developer conference, the Google I/O 2019, had announced that the company would soon introduce a feature that would allow all its users to set a time frame to auto-delete their location history. And now, nearly two months after announcing the feature, Google is keeping good on its promise and rolling out the feature on Android and iOS.
The Mountain View, California based company at the time of announcing the auto-delete feature for location history, had said that the location history helps the company to make useful recommendations to its users. However, the company said users might need simpler controls to manage their location data. “We work to keep your data private and secure, and we’ve heard your feedback that we need to provide simpler ways for you to manage or delete it,” the tech giant wrote in a blog post.
In simple words, the company acknowledged that while restaurant recommendations are great but not all its users would like to have a digital map of their entire life being drawn and saved on Google. Hence the auto-delete controls feature.
Setting the location history of your Google account to auto-delete after a pre-defined time period on your smartphone is really simple. All you need to do is follow these simple steps:
– Open the My Activity section in your Google Account.
– Tap on Choose to Delete Automatically option in Web and App activity section.
– Doing so will open a tab wherein Google will ask you for how long you want to keep your location history.
– You can choose to delete your location manually, which is the default setting or you can choose for your location history to be deleted automatically either after three months or after 18 months.
– Tap on Next and then on Confirm to save your preferred settings.
Google says that these controls are available on both – company’s Android and iOS based apps. However, you shouldn’t worry if you are unable to see these settings on your smartphone right away. Google has started rolling out the feature and you should be able to see this feature on your smartphone within a couple of weeks.